Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Global Warming Presentation Reaction


The presentation on global warming on Monday was definitely an eye opener for me. I had heard a lot about the topic, but I had never looked into it at all. I liked that there were many scientific reasons as to why it was not simply the Earth's natural cycle and that it may actually be us and our actions that are causing the Earth to warm up.

An important part that was brought to my attention was the part about the difference in temperatures. If the Earth gets warmer - even by just a few degrees - it may affect us in a negative way. As mentioned, it may get harder to harvest crops and to grow things because the soil may dry out, making it unfertile. Even if it is very difficult to change our lifestyle because it requires a slight bit of effort on our part, it is extremely important that we do so. If not, the lifestyle that we live now may not be as comfortable anymore. A few degrees of change does not seem like a lot. However, once we looked at the past of how the Earth was when it was a few degrees colder, we can easily see the difference - much of North America being covered in a layer of ice.

The farming and agriculture part of the presentation is extremely important because global warming has a huge effect on agriculture. I figured that global warming would only affect the weather or something of that sort, but this entire presentation opened my eyes. I really enjoyed it and think that if more people were aware that we are the cause of the Earth's warming, maybe something would be done about it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think you post was a great summary of what we saw in class. It's amazing how we take our lifestyle for granted, but how quickly things can change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My main concern is seeing the prices of food increase because of this issue. It needs to stop!

    ReplyDelete