Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Food Culture in my Household

After viewing the presentation on the different Jewish food rules, I found it very interesting and thought about how different it was to my own culture. I am Hispanic, or more specifically Mexican, although I was born in the United States. My mother is from Mexico and she was born there while my father was born in the United States. His family was from the area of Mexico in which my mother grew up.

After my parents were married, they came to the United States. However, their cultures and traditions still live on in our household. For example, we make many Mexican dishes. One of my favorites is called Arroz con Leche. We tend to make this dish when we want to relax or have some sort of vacation. It's been a while since I've had it but it's definitely an important dish to my family.

A part of our culture is pretty obvious to most people. We eat lots of beans and rice as well as meats. We use tortillas for nearly every meal. Usually we would gather with family for dinner. However, most of my family lives in Mexico and so it is just my parents, my brother and sister, and I. I think most of the foods we eats might not be too healthy, but all in all, they are still very good.

1 comment:

  1. When I read "Like Water for Chocolate" the book was set in Mexico and she discussed a lot of dishes that had tortilla's in them, which sounded so good to me. If you ever get a chance, I'd suggest you read it! It's a great book.

    ReplyDelete