Sunday, April 6, 2014

Eating at a Korean Restaurant

There are many different restaurants around Kalamazoo from different cultures and although a list of the different ones were provided for our literature class, I decided to do something a little different. My friend had told me about how she had been working at a Korean restaurant in Kalamazoo, a small shabby place that seemed to be a bit of a ghost on the street. I hadn't really noticed it before but it caught my eye once and noticed the name was Lee's Garden.

I went with my friend to this restaurant  few weeks ago actually, before we were actually assigned to eat at a culture-rich restaurant, and I've got to say that I very much enjoyed it. I can't quite remember what I ordered, but I do know that it was a bit different than what I was used to. To start off, they gave us an appetizer called Kimchi - something I'm not even entirely sure what it was. It looked strange and was extremely cold! It surprised me because the red color fooled me into thinking it would be cold.

Afterwards, our plates came and my friend had ordered some type of noodles. They were a bit spicy and had a side of fried rice, much like Chinese restaurants. My meal was some sort of meat, a bit spicy as well but not too much as my friend's noodles were. I think my meal was far better than hers and I also got a side of fried rice - which was a huge amount actually. I couldn't finish it myself.

During our meal, my friend's boss came over to talk to us. Her English was not fluent enough to have a full-blown conversation but she asked us if the meal was alright and we nodded our heads as a yes. She seemed pleased and urged us to eat more. At the end of our trip, we ended up talking to her a bit more and thanking her for the lovely meal. She rewarded us with a free bottle for each of us of an Aloe drink. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience and my stomach was satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment