Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya (Page 1 - 50)

The story that I chose is called Nectar in a Sieve, written by Kamala Markandaya. I was not completely interested in the book at first, but once I started reading it, it became more and more interesting to me. I really enjoyed the way in which the story was written, from the character's point of view. It was also extremely descriptive and it kept my attention while I was reading.

The story is told from our main character's point of view - Ruku, which is Rukmani for short. She is telling her story from the present so she gives us a look at her past which seems pretty sweet in comparison to the bitter present. Her husband is already dead and so it is quite sad how she starts off, telling of how she can feel her husband still with her beside her. I think it would be very sad to experience something like this. I don't think I would be able to live without my husband after having spent so much time with him.

The rest of the first fifty pages starts telling the story of how they got married, their marriage starting off when Ruku was only 12 years old. She mentions how she was married beneath her, to a poor farmer because she had little money and no dowry to offer. It was also said that she was scared of her new life. However, throughout the story, her husband seemed very loving and nice to her, always being sure to take care of her. He had made their house himself and he comforted her when she needed it. Although she was very inexperienced nor did she have the looks apparently, he never put her down and he treated her well.

She also made a few friends from the village who would talk to her and tell her things, which is how she found out about her husband having made their house. Even later, she has to help her friend deliver her child although the girl - whose name I cannot remember (many of the names are difficult to remember) - did not want her to be present for her childbirth. Ruku learns very much and her husband even comments that she had grown into a woman after only the first month, having learned many things and even how to grow things. One of the things I thought was cute was when she grew a pumpkin and she was very proud of it, much like a child would be, although she is of course a child.

2 comments:

  1. I think reading books from a characters point of view can sometimes be better because it makes it easier to connect better with the book and what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine being married at 12 years old. That is incredible. It sounds like you have a very interesting book!

    ReplyDelete